Festive food frolics…
Distance 76 miles, 122 km
Climbing 777m (2550 feet)
Duration 5 hours
Maps OS Landranger 129 Nottingham and Loughborough, 130 Grantham
Nearest Station Melton Mowbray
Food and Drink Lots of pubs and cafes in Melton and of course the Olde Pork Pie Shoppe for takeaways. There are cafés at Belvoir Castle (open at weekends), Ancaster, Bottesford and Harby. There are plenty of pubs in villages along the route. At the Bull Inn in Bottesford, Laurel and Hardy once pulled pints!
Where to Stay see http://www.goleicestershire.com for suitable accomodation
Windmill Wheels, Wynmondham 01572 787720
Cyclesport, Grantham 01476 574268
1. Leave Melton, following the B676 East towards Saxby.
2. At Coston turn left towards Sproxton, crossing the ford. Reaching Sproxton, follow the road to Saltby, then Croxton Kerrial. Cross the A607, go past the church in the village and head towards Knipton.
3. Ride through the village and bear right towards Belvoir. Take the next road right through the woodland, signposted Belvoir Castle. Pass the castle on your right and follow the road through Woolsthorpe and on to Denton. Bear right in the village and cross back over the A607. At the T junction, turn left, signposted Wyville, Gt Ponton.
4. After 1 mile, fork right to Stroxton. Bear left through the village and cross over the A1 to Little Ponton. Bear right then turn left in the village.
5. Pass under the railway bridge, then straight on, marked “Gated Road”. At the end of this road, turn left onto the B6403. At the roundabout, take the second exit towards Ancaster, briefly joining the A52. After half a mile, turn left, back onto the B6403 to Ancaster.
6. At Ancaster, turn left onto Water Lane, over the level crossing and then left at the T junction.
7. Bear right through Sudbrook, outside the village turn right onto the A607 and then the next left to Hough. Leaving Hough, take the right turn to Gelston.
8. Pass through Hougham and head for Long Bennington, crossing under the A1 and following the road through Bottesford, cross the A52 with care and carry straight on towards Belvoir. Bear right onto Long Lane, taking the second left, signposted Branston, up Terrace Hill.
9. At the T junction, turn right. In Eastwell village, turn right down Stathern Road, bearing left at the bottom to Harby. In Harby turn left towards Waltham and up Harby Hill.
10. At the crossroads, turn right then follow the signs to Long Clawson. Leaving the village, turn left up Melton Road, go straight ahead at the crossroads, signposted Holwell. Go through the village, then turn left. At the T junction, turn right and follow the road back to Melton.
Follow Andy on Twitter
This entry was posted on Monday, December 17th, 2012 at 6:12 pm and is filed under Blog, Cycling Plus, Features. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.